Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ready for Conyers tournament

Yesterday was ALL tennis for me.

It started at 7 AM with a three mile run(beautiful morning too). The only frustration I have is that I feel like I'm stuck at three miles. I realize that in high school, I would suck wind at a couple blocks(running with the tennis team took every bit of mental will because I had to keep up and not quit), but I'm ready to keep moving up and building my stamina. If anyone has ideas, I'm open to them. After a few minutes rest, I worked on a stretching routine and abs. This routine is not easy to get used to because I always trained for pure strength and power, and now I have to train for quickness, stamina, speed, and fast twitch movements.

After breakfast(Robeks fit shake and wheat grass shot. Greatest place to go for all your training foods and drinks), I go on TT for a while, then get some business done with the trailer for "One Chance". After seeing the footage, I asked to redo the voiceover(With all the footage we have, the original VO doesn't fit it at all). Producer agreed, so I'll be meeting him at 3:00 today. Soon, it'll be finished, and a contact is going to set me up with a Comcast TV exec, so that's fun.

With all that finished, it was tennis time.

First, I went to my tennis center and used the ball machine for a while. The other night, on volley drills, I was airmailing a few of them, and it was all coming back to my old bad habits of simply using my wingspan to my advantage(No knee bend, racket head all out of wack). So I had a new method to work on(in other words, the correct one), and it was very unfamiliar for me. All of those years I did the wrong thing, it was still very successful for me. Problem was that there was only one place to direct the volley, which allows the opponent to set up his shot.

Knowing that I needed to get familiar with the correct method, all I worked on with the machine was volleys. Two hours straight. Backhand and forehand, which turned into mainly backhands because that's my weakness right now. It is so easy to revert back to the bad habits when they worked for you, but when I want to do that, I think about the chapter in Pete Sampras' book where his coach wanted him to do a one handed backhand, and he was getting crushed at first before he smoothed it out. I know it's going to take me a while to get used to a few things, but it'll be worth it in the end.

After that, I went back to drills again. This time, I was getting serious torque on my forehand, and was very happy with the results. The backhand? Not so much. My forehand wasn't too hard to correct, but my backhand had all kinds of issues, so it's easy at times to go back to bad habits. All in all, I improved on the backhand, but this is going to take a while. Better that I deal with my weaknesses now in a lower ranking than when I start moving up the ranks.

Overall, I'm very ready for the Conyers tournament. Getting second in the Kennworth tournament still eats me alive because that was a winnable final, and I'm ready to move ahead. I believe I can win this one and move forward to the next tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment